The type error is an exception that is raised when we try to perform the operation on an inappropriate object type. The error occurs by the python interpreter if the data types of various different objects in an operation are not compatible with each other. In this Python Tutorial, we will be discussing the TypeError: ‘list’ object is not callable, how to fix TypeError in python along with the examples and proper solution for it.
Try Short Video Solution
What does “TypeError: ‘list’ object is not callable” mean?
There may be any number of ways that may result in the occurrence of this error, we are going to discuss the two most common ways which most Python programmers do:
- Re-assign the built-in name i.e list
- Using Parenthesis for List Indexing
1. Re-assign the built-in name i.e list
This type of error usually occurs as we try to re-assign the built-in name i.e list. We try to overwrite the predefined meaning of the built-in name. So this reassigning of the built-in name causes the predefined value to lose its original function that works as a class object of the Python List.
list = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] myrange = list(range(1 , 10)) print(myrange) for number in list: if number in myrange: print(number, 'is between 1 and 10)
- Here we defined a list whose variable name is “list”.
- We have defined another variable myrange that stores the value in the form of a list.
- Defined the for loop for each number in a list, it will print the number if it’s in the range of the list.
Here we are getting the error as TypeError: ‘list’ object is not callable so the main reason in such case is we are using “list” as the variable name which is a built-in object having a predefined meaning in the python programming language. Most programmers make a common mistake of using the built-in methods or functions as the variable names leading to an error. While this can be either a method or the object of the class.
How to fix this error?
We should make sure that the variable names should not the same as the built-in or predefined names.
Let us change the variable name from “list” to “value”.
values = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] myrange = list(range(1, 10)) print(myrange) for number in values: if number in myrange: print(number, 'is between 1 and 10')
2. Using Parenthesis for List Indexing
Correct Syntax to get a list value from a list is using square brackets with its index i.e. list_name[index], but sometimes Python programmers use parenthesis instead of square brackets i.e. list_name(index).
stationary=["pen","pencil","rubber","sharpner"] for i in range(len(stationary)): stationary[i] = stationary(i).lower() print(stationary[i]) print(stationary)
- We have defined the variable “stationary” which consists of 4 items in the list form.
- Defined the for loop that takes the length of the stationary using len() function.
- The stationary variable takes the stationary items one by one and prints them.
Here we can see another scenario where we get the TypeError: ‘list’ object is not callable. We raise the error because we used parentheses to access the items in the list i.e. stationary(i).lower(). In the Python programming language, we use parentheses to call functions. In this case, we couldn’t able to call the list as we made use of parenthesis instead of square brackets.
How to fix this error?
We should make sure that while calling the list object we should use the square brackets instead of the parenthesis.
stationary=["pen","pencil","rubber","sharpner"] for i in range(len(stationary)): stationary[i] = stationary[i].lower() print(stationary[i]) print(stationary)
In this article, we come to know why the TypeError: ‘list’ Object Is Not Callable raises and how to resolve this error which occurs because of some common fundamental flaws in the code. Hence, try not to use “list” as the variable name having the predefined meaning to avoid getting this error.
Thank you for visiting our website.
- Bakery Management System in Python | Class 12 Project
- SQLite | CRUD Operations in Python
- Event Management System Project in Python
- Ticket Booking and Management in Python
- Radha Krishna using Python Turtle
- Hostel Management System Project in Python
- Sales Management System Project in Python
- Bank Management System Project in C++
- Python Download File from URL | 4 Methods
- Python Programming Examples | Fundamental Programs in Python
- Drawing letter A using Python Turtle
- Spell Checker in Python
- Portfolio Management System in Python
- Stickman Game in Python
- Contact Book project in Python
- Loan Management System Project in Python
- Cab Booking System in Python
- Brick Breaker Game in Python
- Wishing Happy New Year 2023 in Python Turtle
- Tank game in Python
- GUI Piano in Python
- Ludo Game in Python
- Rock Paper Scissors Game in Python
- Snake and Ladder Game in Python
- Puzzle Game in Python
- Draw Goku in Python Turtle
- Medical Store Management System Project in Python
- Draw Mickey Mouse in Python Turtle
- Creating Dino Game in Python